The Director, Human Resources Business Partner will collaborate with the members of Stoke’s HR team to develop and lead new and expanding HR programs in domains including Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging and Management Development. This position will also provide strategic HR leadership and consultation to various Stoke client groups, with special focus on the company’s Bedford-based Research & Preclinical Development organization. This role will work collaboratively within the HR team environment to define, build and implement HR strategies and solutions that align with and enable corporate and departmental goals.
The Director will play an integral role in aligning people and business strategies while helping to ensure the organization attracts, develops, and retains high quality talent and maintains a positive and effective culture of engagement and inclusion. This position will report to the Chief Human Resources Officer.
- Collaborate with HR team members and organizational leaders to promote a culture that engages and inspires employees, aligning with Stoke’s values;
- Serve as the HR leader for Stoke’s Diversity Council and related employee-led initiatives;
- Provide counsel to leadership in functional HR areas including organizational development and effectiveness, employee relations, performance management, and talent management and development;
- Manage complex employee relations issues ensuring compliance with State and Federal laws and company policies; Conduct effective, thorough, and objective investigations, as needed;
- Support managers at multiple levels through the performance management process, providing education and coaching;
- Provide guidance on organizational design, workforce, and succession planning within assigned groups;
- Partner with Talent Acquisition to fill open positions in client groups by conducting interviews and assessing candidates in the selection process;
- Lead Stoke’s Orientation Program and ensure new employees develop a sense of belonging from the start; conduct exit interviews and analyze trends to drive improvements as needed;
- Research, develop, coordinate and manage Professional Development Planning and various Human Resources Learning & Development programs;
- Build strong partnerships with the HR team members (HR Operations and Talent Acquisition) to provide HR solutions to key business needs and to roll out corporate-wide programs that enhance the overall employee experience and support growth and success of Stoke’s overall business strategy.
- Work with clients to implement and manage key HR processes, such as the goal setting, mid-year reviews, year-end performance review process, calibration, and compensation planning.
- Provide leadership and facilitation for the Stoke Cares Program and related employee meetings and activities
Required Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in Human Resources, Business Management, or related field.
- Minimum 8-10 years of HRBP experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience within a commercial life sciences, biotechnology or pharmaceutical environment.
- Strong business acumen and ability to build trusting, effective relationships and work collectively with others at all organizational levels.
- Demonstrated excellent reasoning, problem-solving and conflict resolution skills, effective project management skills and organizational, attention to detail and communication skills (written, verbal, listening and presentation).
- Strategic thinking with the ability to be open to new ideas and effectively champion innovation and change.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations.
- Strong problem solving/decision-making skills and demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment.
- Strong customer service focus.
- Candidate should be an independent, flexible, well-organized, proactive, and collaborative-minded individual interested in contributing in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
At Stoke, we believe that innovation, the ability to successfully advance our ground-breaking science and having fun as a team are enhanced by being together, in person. As we emerge from the COVID-19 pandemic with a high rate of vaccination among our employees, we have begun a return to our physical work environments and resumed some business travel to engage with stakeholders when appropriate. We have established guidelines to allow for flexibility in work arrangements that balance individual’s needs and preferences with the needs of our business and our desire to foster a culture of collaboration and innovation. For some roles, the necessity of being physically present every day has and continues to be a priority to ensure continued progress with our important work for patients. We will continue to evaluate our practices as we move through this unique period.
Company policy requires that all employees and all new hires be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the earlier of November 15 or when the new Department of Labor rules regarding testing and vaccinations take effect. By applying, you are confirming that, if hired, you can satisfy this express condition of employment. At present, an individual is deemed “fully vaccinated” when that person has received, at least 14 days prior, either the second dose in a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine series (e.g., Pfizer or Moderna) or a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine (e.g., Johnson & Johnson). The Company will make reasonable accommodations under applicable law for qualified individuals to enable them to perform the essential functions of the job, unless doing so would create an undue hardship for the Company.
Stoke operates sites in Bedford, MA, and Cambridge, MA. This position will be located in Bedford.
This position will require approximately 5% travel.
Benefits & Compensation:
At Stoke Therapeutics we are proud to offer comprehensive and competitive employee benefits, including medical, dental and vision insurance; life, long and short-term disability insurance; Paid Parental Leave; a 401K program with company match, unlimited vacation time, and an Employee Stock Purchase Program (ESPP).
Compensation is market competitive for the industry and directly commensurate with experience. All positions are bonus and stock eligible.